Jalgaon Train Accident: Death Toll Reached 13

8 bodies have been identified so far…


On Thursday, 23 January 2025, Police said, the number of deaths in the Jalgaon train accident went up to 13 with the recovery of a headless body along the railway tracks.

Some passengers of the Mumbai-bound Pushpak Express, who got off the train after an alarm chain-pulling incident, were run over by the Karnataka Express heading from Bengaluru to Delhi on the next track in Maharashtra's Jalgaon district on Wednesday evening.

“Of the 13, we have identified eight bodies so far, including two from their Aadhaar cards,” Special Inspector General of Police Dattatraya Karale told PTI.

The eight identified include four hailing from Nepal, Jalgaon, district information officer Yuvraj Patil told news agency PTI.

Out of the 15 persons injured in the incident, 10 were currently undergoing treatment - nine at the Pachora Civil Hospital and one at a medical facility in Jalgaon city- while the others who suffered minor injuries were discharged, he said.

A railway spokesperson said the Lucknow-Mumbai Pushpak Express reached the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus, its final destination in Maharashtra. It was around 1.20 am on Thursday.

He said the Central Railway's general manager and other senior officials reached the spot and inspected the site too.

They visited the hospitals where the injured were taken for treatment.

Edited By: Tanvi Walia

The Brief. Sign up to receive the top stories you need to know right now.